NRG’s plan to Repower Dunkirk will create jobs, lower energy costs, improve the environment and strengthen Western New York’s economy.
Click here to Join PowerUpWNY and send a message asking Gov. Cuomo to support the Dunkirk Project!
For a fact sheet on the Dunkirk repowering project, click here.
THE COALITION TO SUPPORT RELIABLE POWER, JOBS AND THE "ENERGY HIGHWAY" IN WESTERN NEW YORK
NRG Energy Inc. is proposing to convert the existing Dunkirk coal facility to a “combined-cycle” plant powered by clean natural gas, and will have the generating capacity of 420-440 MW — enough to power approximately 350,000 average homes. This project will:
- Preserve local jobs at Dunkirk
- Create about 500 jobs during a 36-month construction cycle
- Lower the cost of wholesale energy in New York by up to $300 million/year
- Ensure a stable and predictable tax base in Chautauqua County and Dunkirk for years to come, supporting local schools and services
- Generate dramatically cleaner energy and improve air quality in Western New York by significantly reducing all major emissions
- Reduce congestion and make transmission lines of the Western New York electrical system more efficient, helping reduce ratepayer costs
- Provide support for renewable energy generation, especially wind power in Western New York
The people and businesses of PowerUp Western New York strongly support the Dunkirk repowering project, and urge our leaders in Albany to support it, and in the process support the people and the economy of Western New York.
The Dunkirk Repowering project aligns with Governor Cuomo’s plan to build an "Energy Highway." As the Governor said in his 2012 State of the State message, expanding New York’s energy infrastructure is key to powering the state’s economic growth.
TAKE ACTION! If you’re not already a member, join PowerUpWNY and tell our leaders in Albany to stand with the people of Western New York. This is the right project at the right time!